Get ready for World Glaucoma Week 2017!
It’s almost that time of the year, #GlaucomaWeek is around the corner.
Be a part of it:
- Organize an activity and submit it to the World map
- Log-on to Facebook and Twitter to join our event, post message and show support #glaucoma, #glaucomaweek
- Promote World Glaucoma Week with artwork that can be downloaded here
We wish you good luck! If you need any assistance or have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Item posted March 09, 2017
WGW-2017 will start in less than 40 days!
Once a year, during Glaucoma Week, each of us has a chance to make a difference in our community. The World Glaucoma Association and the World Glaucoma Patient Association hope you will fulfill your special role in creating awareness concerning glaucoma.
The number of people with glaucoma is expected to increase to 76.0 million in 2020
The WGA and WGPA cannot battle this eye disease by themselves and aim to bring together your scope, expertise, and influence to expand the presence of WGW in, for example, social networks or local establishments. If you are planning any awareness events during World Glaucoma Week, we ask you to register these through the WGW website, in order to enable us to keep track of everything being organized.
Any assistance in relation to World Glaucoma Week is more than welcome, so check the WGW online world map to find an event close to you.
Item posted January 31, 2017
Looking back at World Glaucoma Week 2016
Thousands of glaucoma awareness initiatives have been held in countries circling the globe since World Glaucoma Day was launched in 2008 by the World Glaucoma Association and the World Glaucoma Patient Association and its expansion with World Glaucoma Week launched in 2010.
Many goals have been reached:
- WGW is successfully recognized on five continents and participants donate their time for one week each March. (Please add pictures of glaucoma screening in United Nations building)
- The work of national societies helps the WGW agenda reach rural as well as urban areas.
- There is a presence throughout the media (radio, TV, and newspapers) which spreads awareness about glaucoma in the news.
- Patient associations are involved in targeting activities for people at risk and providing useful information for the close relatives of glaucoma patients.
The number of people (aged 40-80 years) with glaucoma worldwide was estimated at 64.3 million in 2013, and is expected to increase to 76.0 million in 2020. Enormous efforts will be needed in the next decade to overcome the impact of glaucoma around the world. New strategies concerning glaucoma screening, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation are mandatory.
We accept this challenge and we are planning World Glaucoma Week 2017 with the following goals:
- Get national health authorities involved in a plan of action that combats glaucoma blindness.
- Produce educational materials about glaucoma that uses the most current content discussed by experts and distribute this information through the most contemporary strategies of communication.
- Expand the presence of WGW in social networks
- Concentrate our effort and resources on people who are unprivileged for eye care.
We hope you will join us in spreading this initiative.
On behalf of the WGW committee,
Maria Carrasco, MD
Item posted December 08, 2016
Welcome to World Glaucoma Week 2016 / #WGW2016!
This collaborative project between the World Glaucoma Association and the World Glaucoma Patient Association contributes to the elimination of glaucoma blindness by alerting people to have regular eye checks, including optic nerve checks.
We achieve this by organizing a wide range of publicity-seeking activities around the world, involving ophthalmologists, optometrists, eye care workers, hospitals, universities, clinics, private practices and many private individuals, especially including those with glaucoma or with family members with glaucoma. Glaucoma societies and glaucoma patient associations have all participated.
May the Force be with one and all!
Chair World Glaucoma Week Committee
Item posted February 11, 2016
World Glaucoma Week 2016 is around the corner!
Item posted February 04, 2016
Before the last light
Watch this great movie by Thai Glaucoma!
เพราะคนในครอบครัวไม่ใช่ภาระของคุณ ใส่ใจดูแลสุขภาพตา พาคุณพ่อคุณแม่ หรือคนที่คุณรักมาตรวจตา เพื่อป้องกันตาบอดจากต้อหิน
Family members are not the burden for you. Take good care of them or your loved ones by bringing them up to have their eyes checked to prevent blindness from glaucoma.
Item posted February 02, 2016
UKSCF on Glaucoma
Professor Geoffrey Raisman talking about Glaucoma and his research into curing this debilitating disease.
A video by the UK Stem Cell Foundation.
Item posted February 01, 2016
World Wide Success
World Glaucoma Week 2015 was a great success world wide. With close to 500 activities on the map we are very grateful to all the participants! Mark your calendar for next year! World Glaucoma Week 2016 will be March 6 – 12, 2016! Thank you! We must keep on fighting against glaucoma!
Item posted March 24, 2015
World Glaucoma Week Activities
The World Glaucoma Week 2015 map is filling with activities!
Make sure you add your activity!
Item posted February 11, 2015